Hillview was originally a tennis club. The club commenced its activities in 1939. At the time, there was 6 lawn courts in use. In 1955, PJ Bell designed the original 9 hole pitch & Putt course.
In 1973, the old timber pavilion was demolished and was replaced in 1974, by a new clubhouse, badminton hall and bar.
The opening of the new clubhouse coincided with a name change from Hillview Lawn Tennis and Pitch & Putt Club to Hillview ( Clonmel ) Sports Club.
In 1978, the Pitch & Putt course was extended to include " The Bog " at the south end of the course. This area had lain fallow for many years. The chief architect of the new course was Nial O Neill who, with the support of many local volunteers, set about designing and building the extra holes, some of which are used today in the championship course.
A second badminton hall was added in the early 1980's. A major extension to the club house was completed in 1992. The new extension incorporated new dressing rooms, kitchen and bar. By 2000, all 6 tennis courts had been changed to savannah.
Today, Hillview is a thriving club with an adult membership of 600 and a juvenile membership of 500.